SANPURE® - Antimicrobial coating
Due to our antimicrobial coating SANPURE® surfaces will be covered with a transparent, chemical proof and abrasion resistant layer with a lasting germicidal effect. It permanently prevents the formation of new viruses and bacteria and curbs further virus and bacterial growth.
Effective against viruses, bacteria and other dangerous pathogens
The active ingredient of SANPURE® is silver. A case study from the University of Regensburg recently demonstrated in a clinical setting: SANPURE® effectively helps to improve the hygienic situation between cleaning cycles. A study carried out by Eurovir showed that SANPURE® killed 90% of the viruses on the substrate after just one hour. After only 8 hours, the virus load was reduced by 99.99%.
PROPERTIES OF SANPURE®:
- reduces contamination due to dangerous pathogens by 50% within 20 minutes
- no change in optic or haptic quality of substrates
- maximum temperature load: 200 °C
- film thickness from 1.500 up to 2,500 nm
- lifelong antimicrobial effectiveness (significantly antimicrobial according to ISO 22196/JIS Z 2801:2010)
- antiviral effect: virus reduction > 90 % after one hour (lg 1.35), virus reduction > 99.99 % after 8 hours (lg 4.5); testing of virucidal coated germ carriers in practical virucidal carrier test based on RKI guideline (1995) and ISO 21702:2019 against the bovine coronavirus (BoCV; strain: S379 Riems) – screening test S1)
- physiologically harmless (biocompatible according to DIN EN ISO 10993-5)
- abrasion-resistant (according to DIN EN 60068-2-70; minimum 100,000 cycles)
- scratch-resistant (scratch hardness according to DIN EN ISO 1518 up to 20 N; pencil hardness according to DIN EN ISO 15184 up to 10 H)
- abrasive hardness (cross-cut test according to DIN EN ISO 2409)
- chemically resistant to customary detergents and disinfection methods
- transparent, individually coloured on request or proof of presence by fluorescence particles
- reduces germ contamination between cleaning cycles even in the face of constant recontamination
- combination with Easy-to-clean-coating possible
- Plastics (PC, PA, PMMA, ABS and more)
- Glass (borosilicate glass, soda-lime-glass, quartz glass and more)
- Metals and alloys (steel, aluminum and more)
Dip coating or spraying - manual or automatically
The application process can be matched individually to the geometry and the requirements of the substrate.
- certified according to REACH and RoHS
- certified according to ISO 9001:2015; processes comply with IATF 16949
- environmental management conforms to ISO 14001
How silver works
The antimicrobial effectiveness of silver was first discovered in the 19th century. The oligodynamic effect (damaging effect on living cells) means that even very low concentrations of silver develop an antibacterial effect. This is enough to protect the material from microbial attack. If an appropriately coated surface comes into contact with moisture, silver ions are released, reach the surface and react there with the DNA of the bacteria and impair vital metabolic pathways. This leads to the death of the bacteria. A humidity of approx. 20 percent is sufficient for the reactions described. The effectiveness of silver ions against fungi and viruses has also been proven.
Does nanosilver work against bacteria and germs?
The antimicrobial effect of silver was first determined in the 19th century. Its oligodynamic effect (harmful effect on living cells) makes sure that even negligible quantities of silver unleash an antibacterial effect. This is more than enough to protect the material from microbial attack. When a coated surface comes in contact with moisture, silver ions are released, reach the surface and react there with the DNA of the bacteria, impairing vital metabolic pathways. This leads to the death of the bacteria. For this to happen, an air humidity rate of roughly 20% is more than enough. The effectiveness of silver ions against fungi and viruses has similarly been documented.
Is SANPURE® effective against viruses?
SANPURE® was tested in a practical virucidal carrier test based on RKI guideline (1995) and ISO 21702:2019 against the bovine coronavirus (BoCV; strain: S379 Riems) – screening test S1. After a contact time of one hour the virus reduction amounted to more than 90 percent (lg 1.35). Almost no virus load could be demonstrated on the surface of the substrate after only eight hours. The reduction was more than 99.99 percent (lg 4.5).
How can one test the effectiveness of SANPURE® on one’s individual product?
GBneuhaus offers a three-stage sampling process. Within this process, customers and partners witness firsthand the effectiveness of the antimicrobial coating and can test the performance of their product after coating without much effort.
How long does the contained silver remain effective and when is the reserve of silver empty?
Current experiments and projections have concluded that the nanosilver is effective for more than 20 years. The reserve of silver is larger than in silver salts or in layers that contain copper.
Is it dangerous for my skin cells to come in contact with a surface coated with SANPURE®?
No. A study by Dirk Hoefer and Timo R. Hammer substantiates: Antimicrobial active agents do not show any harmful effects on the ecological equilibrium of the microflora in healthy human skin.
Does the used active ingredient harm the environment?
SANPURE® contains a modern system for the controlled release of active agents and thus fulfils all requirements for biocompatibility. It is therefore considered physiologically harmless and thus does not harm nature.
Can silver leach out or diffuse from the surface?
The silver will never diffuse to such an extent that the antimicrobial effect of SANPURE® is compromised in any way. An experiment in which the coated surface was wiped with HNO3 twice a day showed a life period of 55 years for the coating.
How can one be sure of the antimicrobial protection offered by SANPURE® especially since the coating itself is invisible?
Since SANPURE® contains fluorescent particles, it can be made visible under UV light if required.
Does one even need to clean surfaces that are coated with SANPURE®?
In order to guarantee the best possible hygiene on the surface, standard cleaning cycles should be observed as usual. SANPURE® improves the hygienic situation in the intervals between cleaning cycles, prevents the growth and spread of bacteria, germs and fungi and disintegrates them gradually. While cleaning or disinfecting the surface only improves the situation temporarily, SANPURE® improves hygiene long-term.
What advantage does SANPURE® offer as opposed to a powder coating with silver?
SANPURE® is considerably thinner than a powder coating and hence requires the use of a much lesser amount of material. In addition, the product looks and feels exactly the same after being coated with SANPURE®.